We also pay really expensive Hydro bills...to be exact, it's about $115. Before moving in with Kelly, I always rented places that included heat and hot water. So today I took it upon myself to give BC Hydro a call.
I have a plan! I will make a conscious effort to be Power Smart. My goal is to have our next bill around $100. I think that's an achievable goal. I will use many tools to help me achieve this goal. Here they are.
Power Smart 101
- Turn all heaters down to at least 15
- Turn off all heaters when leave the apartment
- Turn off unnecessary lights
- Wash clothes in cold water
- Only use dryer for linens
- Don't run the shower for 5 minutes before I get in
- Try to shower at the gym
- Change lightbulbs to energy efficient
- Don't pre-heat the oven for 1 hour
- Unplug things when you aren't using them
- Light candles
I think this is a great start. I know some of these things seem obvious and insignificant, but I have to start somewhere and I am excited to see if I can reach my goal.