Monday, May 28, 2012

My Paleo Journey

            My name is Azin and I’m 27 years old. I live in Downtown Vancouver and have dual careers as Makeup Artist/Operating Room Nurse. I’m a city girl who loves beauty, fashion, surgery, and Paleolithic living. If anything, I’m probably more of a cave-girl than a city girl.

I started eating Paleo on February 27, 2012. I had 2 days where I fell off the wagon, but I got right back up and have been going strong ever since. Today marks my 3-month anniversary!!




The main reason I started eating Paleo was because I was bored with my eating routine. Don’t get me wrong, I was eating very healthy at the time but I had a very imbalanced diet. If I didn’t have specific instructions then I would just eat whatever was in the fridge/pantry. Then I would be hungry again an hour later. I ate lots of quinoa, oatmeal, brown rice, and popcorn. I would crave popcorn like an African craves water. Now, 3 months later, the only types of cravings I get are for red meat and more red meat.




When I first started following the Paleo diet I used the 30-day meal plan found in Robb Wolf's book The Paleo Solution. It was important for me to use this meal plan because I had no idea what I was doing. I needed guidance, structure, and exposure to the variety of recipes that you can create with Paleo. After 30 days I understood the core concepts of Paleolithic living and was excited to put my own spin on things.

My recipes are based on 4 ground rules: affordable, creative, tasty, fat-blasting.

My first ground rule is really important to me because I’m a single girl living in the city. I love beauty and fashion, so if I can save money on food and instead spend it on having fun, then sign me up!

My second ground rule is also really important to me. Before I started Paleo I would literally eat popcorn for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I had absolutely no motivation to cook because I was bored out of my mind by the same old recipes.  My nutrition was poor and but I thought I was in okay shape.

My third ground rule is also really important because it’s the reason that I actually eat the food! I’ve developed my palate to enjoy foods and spices that I used to absolutely hate. One spice in particular is curry. I can’t tell you how much I hated curry. I wouldn’t even step foot into an Indian restaurant for fear of smelling like curry. But now I love curry powder!

My fourth ground rule makes me very happy. Fat-blasting! What better reason to stick to a diet than weight-loss. While I have only lost 10 lbs since I started Paleo, I feel like I’ve lost more because my body shape has changed so much. The biggest difference has been in my stomach. By no means do I have abs, but it's definitely a lot flatter. 


My favorite meal is breakfast, but they tend to resemble brunch more than anything. I’m constantly eating almonds and I always start my day off with at least one cup of coffee. Cinnamon will be your new favorite all-purpose spice. It literally tastes good on everything! An always use cayenne powder or Tabasco sauce, that’s a no-brainer.

I’m dedicating this blog to Paleolithic recipes. I’ll post videos recipes or picture recipes. Even if you follow these recipes once a day/once a week/or all the time, you’ll be hooked! (Plus you’ll lose weight!!!)



No comments:

Post a Comment